Friday, 13 November 2015

Making a Maternity Bridesmaid Dress - Part 1

A severe and prolonged bought of morning sickness meant that blogging, along with most other things, very much went on hold for a bit.  But as that horrid stage of pregnancy passed, I was ready to take on a new challenge.  And it presented itself in the form of my sister-in-law's wedding.

As Matron of Honor (not Maid of Honour, apparently that's reserved for the unmarried...making me feel somewhat old), who would be around 6 months pregnant at the time of the wedding, I was facing a bit of a dilemma over the dress.  It needed to tick quite a few boxes, not least because the other three bridesmaids had all plumped for this lovely little navy number from Oasis:



Now, a halterneck makes me look busty at the best of times (and pregnancy was not helping me much in that department as it was) so I was relieved in a way that I wasn't going to be required to adopt the same outfit.  However, this still presented a few challenges as my dress needed to:
  • Be a similar shade of navy (a notoriously difficult colour to match)
  • Have a high neck (outdoor wedding in summer meets bridesmaid who burns easily)
  • Be suitable for this stage of pregnancy
  • Actually fit AND suit me
And as most maternity wear, especially occasion wear, is only available to order on line, trying AFTER buying was the only option (with the up-front costs and hassle of returning what wasn't suitable). 

So it felt the best option was to make my own.  See my next blog post to find out how that went...


No comments:

Post a Comment